Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer Reading - Part One

It occurred to me that I love seeing what other authors are reading... It gives me a glimpse into the personalities behind the books, so to speak. Keeping that in mind, I decided to offer a sneak-peak into myself by showing you all while I've been reading this summer.

So here's a sampling of my Goodreads lists (Part One)!


Dark Child (Omnibus Edition)Dark Child by Adina West

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Overall, a well-paced, cleanly written paranormal/ fantasy with all sorts of "other-worldy" goodness. I actually started reading the first installments of this (Episode One) before I realized there was an omnibus (i.e.full novel) edition. As soon as I finished reading the first installment, I upgraded to the full edition knowing I wouldn't be able to read it in piece-meal.

The legends and lore of Dark Child were intricate and creative, and I like how details are revealed over time, rather than in large info-dumps. Despite the fact that this book was written by a non-US citizen, it has been Americanized almost fully. (Note that I don't read books written with foreign dialects, etc., but as an American myself it helps me fall into the book more if I can relate-- you know?)

I was hoping for a bit more in the romance department, as the book has all the necessary characters for a love triangle, and there is obvious attraction between the parties... but I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the second book to see where that leads. Please, let there be a second book!




Soul Stripper (Soul Stripper, #1)Soul Stripper by Katana Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm not sure how to label this one-- part paranormal suspense, part steamy romance, with a smidgen of historical romance is the best way I can think to describe it. The characters are super-complex and most are not-quite what they seem, which kept me guessing right to the very end.

Despite the fact that the main character is a succubus (and thus steals part or all of a human's soul to fuel themselves) I still found myself rooting for her. And like all good series, readers are given a few good men that she could possible end up with over the course of this series. So who will it be, the human with the pure soul, the Elemental Detective, or the Angel who has a hard time staying away?

Either way, I'm along for the ride after reading this first book. I can't wait to read the next one!




Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)Along Came a Spider by Kate SeRine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book doesn't come out until the first of August, but I'm likely to forget to review it then, so I'll do it now!

I really like the world-building and the characters in this novel. The Tales (that's fairy tale folk, for you guys not in the know) have been transplanted from their realm to our world full of Ordinaries (you and me) and are just trying to fit in and fly under the radar.

Add some power-tripping jerks with badges, a psychotic vampire, fairy-dust trafficking, and a few other familiar surprises, and you have all the makings of a great paranormal read, even without the hotter-than-hot chemistry between the Spider and lil' Miss Muffet!

I definitely recommend this book for fans of paranormal action/romance!

**I received a review copy of this book via NetGalley for review purposes. No monies were exchanged.**



Passion PotionPassion Potion by Mary Beth Daniels

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I rather enjoyed this book. It was fresh, inventive and didn't take itself too seriously. Other than a few vague references to some steamy stuff (and one actually blazing-hot scene)the rest of this novel felt light and YA-ish.

I was hooked into the mystery and magic fairly quickly. The ferret was a trip and I loved his "character" instantly. For the most part, overall characterization was well done. The players in this novel did have their moments though... Dad was okay with his daughter doing something extremely dangerous, Jet was a little too flippant about the bad men chasing her, and the resolution was a little too convenient and easily committed.

Overall though, I enjoyed this book and the world of magic that the author built. I'll read more of her work for sure.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment